Comments Off

Diagnostic Medical Sonography Schools

Medical sonography is a procedure for diagnostics using high-frequency waves to produce visual and dynamic images of blood flow, tissues or organs of the body insides. Medical sonography can also be used for examining various parts of the body such as blood vessels, heart, prostate, female system of reproduction, breasts and abdomen. This procedure is more commonly called a sonogram or ultrasound scan.

Sonography is being used more and more in the treatment after detection of heart attack and heart disease and diseases of a vascular nature that can lead to a stroke. Sonography is also used in micro needle, tissue biopsy when extracting a sample of cells from an organ for lab testing. Sonography is a radiation free procedure.

Sonography is performed by professional technicians known as sonographers and vascular technologists. Sonography has its own areas of specialization including abdomen, breast, obstetrics/gynecology, echocardiogram, vascular technology, neurosonology and ophthalmology.

Diagnostic Medical Sonography Schools

Diagnostic medical sonography schools are located in just about every state, in the United States. Some of the medical sonography schools are located within teaching hospitals while other schools are community colleges, technical and vocational training centers, colleges and universities.

Medical sonography programs vary in length, but are typically 1 to 4 years. The programs offer certificates of completion and degrees. The prerequisite for all programs is a high school diploma. Depending on the depth of the program and the degree awarded, there may be other prerequisite required. The program chosen should include classroom and practical clinical instruction. Student’s who wish to attend diagnostic medical sonography schools, should choose a school with an accredited program. Students who attend a non-credited program will be required to complete a year of work experience under the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography before taking the certification exam in diagnostic sonography.

Medical sonography class work includes anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, medical ethics, sonographic physics and instrumentation, Doppler sonography and obstetrics and gynecologic sonography. Most programs that are not part of a teaching hospital will form an affiliation with a medical facility to accommodate clinical rotations, allowing the students hands on sonographic experience.

Online Medical Sonography Schools

Medical sonography is offered online as well as at physical locations. The course of study is the same, but the time frame for completing the work may vary. Clinical rotations at local medical facilities are available as part of the program. This allows the student to study according to their own time frame.

Students who complete a certificate or associates degree program are qualified for entry level employment. According to the Bureau of labor Statistics, 59% of sonographics technicians work in hospitals and the remaining 41% work for a variety of clinical practices.

The employment prospects for sonographic school graduates are strong, as careers in all corners of the medical profession are growing. The demand for sonographic technicians will rise 18% through the year 2018. The growth is driven by the aging population that is placing greater demands on the field of medicine, and that sonographics is less dangerous and less expensive diagnostic procedures than radiation.

Filed in: Ultrasound Technician, Ultrasound Technician Education and Training

Get Updates

Recent Posts

© 2017 TrainFargo. All rights reserved.
.